gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Move of the Week

      I haven't been keeping my 'BJJournal' like I said I would, oops.  (but not that surprising).  And haven't been studying books (also not that shocking).. although, We are awaiting the arrival of a special book, any day now.  Gary spent $89 on a copy of Helio Gracie's master book, because it only had one printing. There's so much to learn, so much to study, so much to practice... it's difficult to focus on one thing at a time.  At the school we're at now, they teach anywhere from 4-8 different moves every night; it makes my head spin, and after a while, it's quite challenging to pay attention.  Going to Jiu-Jitsu feels like going to school.  It's hard to pay attention for so long, and Everything is a test; an opportunity to succeed or fail.  A learning opportunity, of course... I tell my students that a quiz is just a learning opportunity... but they certainly don't feel the same way.  I understand.  It stings just a little to get beat up no matter what. 

     This week, I have had a few more moments when I've felt things coming together, and where I've been remembering some long-lost moves.  Really, I guess it's the process of my brain recognizing a position I'm in, and searching the filing cabinet for what to do.  (and by filing cabinet.. i mean that my brain is probably more like a box that just gets papers shoved into it at random)  A friend posted this video on facebook because it's hilarious, but it is also very good basic Jiu-Jitsu.  I subscribed to Kurt Osiander's 'Move of the Week,' so I am committing to a way to focus.  My commitment to myself and my jiu-jitsu practice is to keep watching each week's video 2-3 days throughout the week. 

Here's the video:
Kurt Osiander move of the week - escape from side control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9tP2gRuOo&feature=youtu.be&ytsession=oAHY4nQ7vt_WRmgrfWRChgRpw630ywZRceHq9mJ1YEyT_V28XeCaU5UogiWUAvJiuTnFCUyOgmCfgem_PkT2OeCmDbOOYqvaArzoVEJ17NV6ar8gMsjT9L_rR_k_LXwz_5CHNR1dXH0x5SfKPBIKPBeN9Agj-YCnUcYEYh4dygBCM_C9jw_HtIqa3dGIZgjX0MTA34o0iZ4tM_J5gaVnCW1xP6N_AsnarRMJ1-z6f23a2VdljsWEeD1lnI2xZHzTMi14YCszGL4h9Pgww3u-z44OKX_WGCB6SIJ2p-R8c04

1 comment:

  1. I keep a bjj notebook and it helps keep track of everything. I feel the same way at seminars sometimes... They're always showing a dozen or so techniques and u think u can keep up with them until 30 minutes later and ur minds blank lol

    ReplyDelete