gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweeps Week

Before class, practicing a scissor sweep and arm bar to windmill sweep exercise with Gary, I was thinking about how much instruction I’m getting, and how all I can really remember when I’m rolling is, “TURN TO YOUR SIDE.” I practiced that a lot today! All of the details of the moves I learn seem to evade me. The one or two moves and details I practice with Gary each time, I am starting to remember though. I need the repetition and the learning more details little by little as I start to understand the move and how I can get it to work for me. Gary gets frustrated that he shows me things over and over. I just tell him to stop being a jerk.

Today, in class we learned the hip bump sweep. I think it could be a good sweep for me because when the person’s not on top of me, and I get to use my hips and a more full bodied/up-right movement, it seemed more plausible for me to shift the person’s weight over.
Rolling with a blue belt today, I think I did better than the last time I rolled with him, a month or so ago. I didn’t get flattened and pinned, which I recall falling for a time or two before, and I think I evaded some choke attempts. Still in survival mode, but I worked hard for it. Even rolling with Gary, I of course felt stuck at times and unable to work a sweep I tried, but I didn’t feel frustrated enough to almost cry, which is good ☺

For Kettle Bells, we did a shorter circuit, not timed. Gary w/ 30 lb, me with 10 lb
-5 R Halo
-5 L Halo
-5 R swings
-5 L swings
-5 R snatches
-5 L snatches
-5 R Clean and Presses
-5 L clean and presses
-6 sit out jump backs
-10 sprawl jumps

This time, I practiced sit out jump backs before the circuit to be ready. My kinesthetic dyslexic tendencies usually kick in with these. I also made sure I knew which exercise the sprawl jumps are. Last week, when Gary called out Sprawl Jumps, I fumbled. I couldn’t remember which exercise these were. So Gary proceeded to yell “Sprawl Jumps” … “Sprawl Jumps” , frustratedly. like yelling the word at me over and over was gonna make me know what Sprawl Jumps are. After my circuit, he was the one getting yelled at!! Not Helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment