gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Practice Pays Off

I got my first belt promotion -- two degrees on my white belt. It was a long day, but it was so nice to spend it with everyone at the gym. It really felt like such a supportive and comfortable environment. Everyone was so sincere and proud of each other. Some of our coach's black belt friends came from other schools, so it felt official, but they were helpful if anyone was having a hard time. After the kids tested and the women's self defense class, I heard my name called as the first adult belt test. I couldn't believe it. I really didn't think he would call me first. I went up there and mouthed, "oh, crap" to someone who was standing on the side of the testing area. The first thing asked was two take-downs. I hadn't learned very many take downs, but I remembered a couple of things Gary showed me when I was nervous about starting standing (which i've only done twice). And I am so glad that I reviewed that right before testing. The first take down, they knew I was nervous and fumbled on my balance a little, so they said, "relax. do it again." After this, I was okay.

I was so nervous, but practicing definitely helped me remember the steps for each move.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Of course you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job!! how long have you been training

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about 9 months in. Lately, I've only averaged training about twice a week, but with being tired out during the week, it feels pretty good just to get there.

    ReplyDelete