gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gracie Diet


After getting Helio Gracie’s book, the “Gracie Diet” has peaked Gary’s and my interest.  Since training Jiu-Jitsu until 90 years old has always been the goal, who better to be a role model than the Grand Master himself?!    He was teaching and training on the mat until 10 days before he died… at 95!   That would definitely be success in the health category to me.  Helio and his sons claim this nutritional lifestyle as part of their family’s great success, in the ring and at the playground.  Recounting increased energy and cured ailments, Rorion’s book lays out the diet, process and rationale behind the 65 years of informal research and benefit that have given his family increased strength of body and of mind. 

Beyond physical health, this diet is about discipline.  The translation from Portuguese is, “The Rational Nutritional Regimen.”  At least two of these words were not previously in my dietary vocabulary.  I have gained a greater awareness of my eating habits as being largely emotional and unstructured.  I could always rationalize my eating habits as small meals more often or necessities for avoiding low blood sugar.  I would self-identify as “living to eat, not eating to live,”  but the truth is, I would eat all day long and snack as I please.  I let my every whim and impulse take over, so this new way of eating will be a grand and majestic gesture of mind over body.  I will have to think about what I eat, and when I eat, implementing a new element of planning throughout my days… Wish me luck, as I embark on my newest challenge; all moving toward my overall Jiu-Jitsu goals of greater strength in mind and body. 

1 comment:

  1. Should be interesting. I would never follow the Gracie diet personally, because I hate vegetables and most fruit. I may be 30 years old, but I think my taste buds are still stuck at around 5. ;p

    Also, as far as I'm aware there is absolutely no scientific backing for the Gracie diet's claims (though to his credit, Rorion did admit that in his Fightworks Podcast interview a while back), though it possibly works for the Gracie family.

    Then again, training most days for their entire lives and avoiding drinking alcohol or smoking might have something to do with their good health too. ;)

    ReplyDelete