gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Sunday, July 18, 2010

31 Rowboats!

It was an abbreviated warm-up… but still… I hit 31 Rowboats.

We learned two moves for escaping from when you are in someone’s half-guard. I usually get a little confused with half-guard moves because it is a position based on having one leg trapped, or hooking the person’s one leg with your two legs, so you really need a good concept for which arm to use, which side to put your body to and which leg is on top/inside/outside when you’re on the bottom hooking… because there’s only one right way. I get struck with Jiu-Jitsu Dyslexia. It just doesn’t all make sense to me yet.

When coach came around to check on how we were practicing the moves… it completely amazed me that he always remembered which side we’d already done, and that we didn’t know that we were about to practice the same side again.

When rolling, I also have trouble remembering all of the details and little tricks. My mind seems to go blank, and my body doesn’t have enough muscle memory yet. I was too tired most of this week to go to class because I started a new voter registration job, so I’ve decided to (finally) commit to studying Jiu-Jitsu books and taking notes on the little tricks I often forget. Especially because I’m little, if someone’s on top of me, something like bringing my heel closer to my butt could mean the difference between me bridging my hips up high enough to escape my hip out to the side, or to sweep the person over… or becoming a stuck little pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment