gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fight Training...Day 1

I was told Jiu-Jitsu would make me tough, and now, two months in, comes the real test. These next 90 days will be where prophecy becomes reality. Strength of will. Strength of mind. Strength of body. … Fight Training With Mr. Gary Gross.

A few weeks ago, we decided that the October 2nd tournament would be my first Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) Gi Competition. And really… the first time where I truly feel training can make a great difference. I never took high school cross-country that seriously because, really… I didn’t notice much difference between the 28 minute 3 mile day or the 28.56 minute 3 mile day. Now, however, being 5’1”, 102 lb, and having been beat up a time or two by teammates, I KNOW that I need all of the technique, agility, focus and stamina I can attain. Staying calm and not ‘gasing out’ can give me the edge to defend and wait for the moment to gain control. Really, though, I can’t get smothered or smooshed by bigger people. Pancakes are only for breakfast!

In theory, I was getting excited for fight training. I would joke that I’m really in for it now, because of stories I’ve heard about Gary Gross Fight Training, but the truth is, I don’t really know what lies ahead on my personal journey. I do know that he will always look out for me and push me forward in all the right ways. I was a teeny bit nervous this morning, but I’ve adopted a new mindset of being in the moment as much as possible and not worrying about the tiredness that would ensue later. This keeps me focused on doing my best.

On Monday, July 5, 2010, I woke up as usual, 3 minutes before the alarm at 6:57, snoozed for a few, then got up and made oatmeal while Gary ventured out into the suburban jungle for a stopwatch battery. We were set to start at 8:30, and at 8:30, so began Day 1’s training regimen:

(all written out and itemized in Gary Gross’ Jiu-Jitsu notebook)
----------------
-light rotations
-50 four-count jumping jacks
-50 up-downs
-50 side-to-sides

-10 minutes free stretching

-Running: 5 minutes warm up
5 minutes all out (7 for Gary) –- 2 rounds w/ light jog in between

-5 minutes (7 for Gary)
--20 Lunges
--10 squats
--10 squats w/ jump
--10 split squats
--5 variations of push ups, 2 each (hand-to-foot, elbow-to-knee, T’s, hindu and reverse-hindu)
--4 sit-outs and jump backs

-10 minutes free stretching

----------

My exercises are in 5 minute increments because that is how long my rounds will be, and similarly, Gary’s in 7, to train your internal clock to this time, and to always know that you can push hard for the entire time.

For the first day, I think I was more getting used to the timing, and I’m not sure I ran as fast as I could have… but I was still pretty f-ing tired. My body said, good job, we’re done.. And at this point I realized there’s more to come. My lunges, squats and especially push-ups were quite poor in form, but that was nothing compared to how it took 4 wrong attempts at sit-outs and jump backs, and a light dose of Gary Gross demonstration and frustration for me to finish strong. (then I timed Gary and he did more than twice my amount in his time)

(8 hours later)……..Now comes time for 7pm Jiu-Jitsu class. I felt good. The regular warm up is no joke. –our ‘big boy’ friend says so- 250 stomach exercises interspersed with 50 push ups and some calisthenics/stretching. I stay consistent and determined, but I will be improving in form and speed. Especially, the last exercise, today, I made it to 27 row boats in Coach’s 50 count (Mr. Gary Gross usually finishes all 50. I’ll be increasing little by little). We learned a neat sweep from when someone stands up in your guard, opening your legs, grab their heels, hip thrust and end up on mount. (I don’t know the name, but quite a good trick).

In light grappling with a woman and a young guy, both with 40-50 pounds and a good amount of strength on me, I practiced survival techniques and even got to side control. (not that I remembered what to do from there).

I stayed pretty calm and was ready for after-class Kettle Bell circuit. 7 minutes for Gary, 5 for me. Gary, of course, in his wildly high intensity (controlled) looked like a mad Russian snarling and huffing and puffing with his big beard. I counted reps and kept time. He did the whole seven minutes, from 30 lb to 5 lb. Gary then supported me in my 10 lb to 5 lb adventure.

Kettle Bell Circuit
-10 right hand swings
-10 left hand swings
-10 right hand snatches
-10 left hand snatches
-10 right hand clean and presses
-10 left hand clean and presses
-10 2-handed swings
...repeat for allotted time
descending weights (optional)


The End. I’m Tired.

-Elissa Hope

3 comments:

  1. Just bumped into your blog, due to that comment you left over at BJJ Grrl. Always cool to see more female BJJ bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an old friend of Gary...if you still train with him have him call me at 609 319-7470
    thanks
    Dan Dixon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dan. nice to hear from you. I've seen pictures from one of the competitions in jersey. I'll certainly pass your number along. I'm still training-- we're at a fabulous BJJ school here in florida. Also, we're planning to get married next year. take care. Elissa

    ReplyDelete