gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Friday, July 9, 2010

Not So Smart

Thursdays are No Gi day at the gym. This usually means big-time physical training. Coach says if we do this all summer, through the florida heat and humidity, we’ll be so strong come winter… and we won’t be the fat ones, packing on the seasonal pounds. He doesn’t use air conditioning (“Brazil-Style”), which I am so grateful for. I love the heat. I used to turn on the car’s heated seats in the middle of summer on the drive to yoga.

Usual warm up - jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees; 100 hand grips; 10 push ups, 50 stomach exercises, 10 push ups, 50 stomach exercises, 10 push ups, 50 stomach exercises, 10 push ups, 50 stomach exercises, 10 push ups, 50 stomach exercises, 10 push ups, 50 stomach exercises, 10 push ups. I feel so relieved after this, when he says, “sit down, ankle rotation forward.” I know it’s coming, but it still feels- so good- every time.

Circuit with everyone – 5 minute rounds with 1 minute break
…for 45 minutes…
(almost wrote one hour for evenness… but there’s no need to exaggerate. This shit’s wild enough)
- Ground and Pound
- Jump Rope
- Kettle Bell Circuit
-15 squats w/ 30 lb
- 5 clean and presses each arm w/ 20 lb
-20 lunges w/ 10 lb in each hand
-20 shoulder raises, forward and lateral w/ 5lb in each hand

Grand Finale…

One 5 minute round of 30 second Kettle Bell stations
-squat press w/ 30 lb
-two-handed swings w/ 20 lb
-jumping split squats w/ 10 lb each hand
-jumping jacks w/ 5 lb each hand

The kettle bells were too heavy for me for some of the exercises, so I modified which exercises I did with which weight, and sometimes just did without the weight to ensure safety and good form. For the last set, though, I got caught up in the excitement and thought I would just give it a try. Not So Smart! I was probably close to hurting myself. I won’t be doing that again. And as if I didn't feel bad enough about potential personal injury, I got a lecture on proper lifting form and critical thinking skills from Mr. Gary Gross as he sat there with his shorts dripping sweat all over, like he pee'd himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment