gggrrrrr

gggrrrrr
first day with my Gi

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Ogress

Coach asked me to come in to sparr with these taller girls in the kids class again. I know it’s good for them to go up against someone their own size, but, I don’t really like beating up on little girls. I felt like this big ogress that they try to tie down or shoot arrows at, but I just go rooaarrrrr and keep them pinned down with my little pinky finger.

In what world am I big mamma? I know it’ll get better once they get used to it. I don’t weigh any more than they do. (in fact, I’m 20 lbs less than one of them)

They did good. They didn’t make it easy on me. I wanted them to practice the escapes, though. The kicker of it is, that I’ve never been on top, so I hardly even knew what to do in a dominant position. From mount, I tried my hand at the Americano or a Cross Choke (not very successfully, I might add). Drills for learning technique are a lot different. Nothing is ever in the exact right position like in training.

I give the girls lots of encouragement afterward. I have to keep myself from talking to them while we’re sparring, though. I get in trouble for that, but it’s just in me to be helpful. I had one girl in side control and was very gentle, moving her hair out of the way so I didn’t tug on it. I collided heads with one girl on a take down, and checked and double checked that she was okay… but it turns out I’m the one with the bruised nose!! I noticed something that looks like grab marks on my bicep. Oh wait, they ARE grab marks… but from fighting a ten year old girl, not from my 6’0”, 185 lb domestic partner. I know I look like a bad after school special.

No comments:

Post a Comment